Monday, June 25, 2012

Worthwhile writing

I first started writing "Things I know for sure" about a year ago.
Last July, after I had worked for the Cedar Park Citizen, Leander Ledger and North Lake Travis Log for a month, my editor asked if I would write something for our editorial pages.
My first problem was coming up with a catchy name that described my writing style and message. At that time, I was 21-years-old and newly employed at my first professional job. Realizing the position I was in, I went with "Things I know for sure," a play on my age and lack of experience.
I realized as I started writing columns for the paper more often that the title also described my content. My writing isn't always the sagest advice, but it is filled with my personal beliefs and what I've learned in just over two decades.
I just celebrated my one-year anniversary in the newsroom last week. In a year, we have gone from three papers to one, and now produce the Cedar Park-Leander Statesman. In my yearly evaluation, I wrote down expanding myself as a journalist as one of my personal goals. With that in mind, I decided to turn my column into a biweekly blog.
Who's going to read it? I have no idea. Anyone who thinks reading another person's life perspective is funny, insightful or just interesting. But whoever reads it, I hope they come away from it with a different view point, or something to think and talk about.
That's how I'll know my writing is worthwhile.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed it Korri! I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I've been around almost five decades, so I'm really looking forward to your fresher perspective!

    ReplyDelete