Thursday, June 28, 2012

The heat that oppresses

Yesterday, rubber from a blown tire was seen melting on an Austin highway. I wasn't surprised when I heard - even most of the elements on the lower two rows of the periodic table can't stand against the heat in Texas.
For most of the United States, summer officially begins with the solstice, which happened last week. However, Texans traditionally brace themselves for summer starting in mid-April. By the time the solstice rolls around, we're knee-deep in what I refer to as our state's fifth season, which I have not-so-affectionately dubbed "super summer."
Any Texan reading this will know exactly what I'm talking about. For any non-Texans, let me elaborate. Super summer begins and spreads across Texas in a wave-like pattern - south Texas gets hot first, and the heat moves north until residents of Lubbock are screaming like crawfish being poured into a pot of boiling hot water.
After the heat settles in, it makes itself comfortable. It busies itself 24/7 keeping everyone oppressively hot, whether the sun is up or not, and invites its friends humidity and UV rays to come hang out. Often, the trio of pranksters spends the season sunburning skin, frizzing hair, burning butts that sit on leather that's been in contact with the sun and generally wreaking havoc.
Other defining characteristics of super summer include temperatures over 100 degrees, extreme droughts, burn bans and the absence of rain or any type of H2O in general. If you're non-native Texan visiting between April and October, be aware of these signs and conditions.
This year, it looks like the heat is setting in right on schedule as the Central Texas area is set to reach up to 108 degrees before the weekend. While the next few months are predicted to be less scorching than this time last year, everyone should still prepare for outrageous conditions. My parents are braving the heat in south Texas as they participate in a mission project this week, repairing a 52-foot roof with new boards, tar paper and shingles. It almost shiver to thinking about it, but it's much too hot for that.
I'll be doing my own sweating this weekend, thought not for as good a cause, as I attempt to move all of my possessions from Central Austin to the Northwest area. While I'm excited about my new place, I'm dreading the way my body will be screaming at me as I haul boxes up and down two flights of stairs. For those of you who are wondering, yes, that is a long distance to go in 108-degree weather.
All of this complaining, though, won't change the fact that super summer is here and nesting in like a bad room mate. All I, or any Texan can do now is figure out how to deal with it and keep away from heat exhaustion.
As for me, I'm planning on plenty of swimming, cold glasses of water and keeping the A/C in the office firmly planted no higher than 72. I'm also hoping that as Google finishes the Google Glass, its next project will be air conditioned clothing.
Until then, I advise those under the summer weather to bring out the flip flops, fill the kiddie pool with bags of ice and keep hydrated when working or playing outside.

Photo via icanhazcheezburger.com

No comments:

Post a Comment