Thursday, July 5, 2012

Audio blandness

Is it just me, or is everything on the radio lately pretty sub par?
I don't mean the oldies and goodies - I'm talking about top-40 pop music, the stuff that blares in two-hour cycles on stations with catchy names like "Mix," "Da Beat" and "Jamz."
As far as Austin radio stations go, I find myself sticking to KLBJ, which plays a decent assortment of classic rock, and BOB FM, which plays a decent assortment of everything.
I've taken to avoiding everything else, because I can't stand anything that's come out lately. Probably the latest top-40 hit I liked was "Good Life" by Onerepublic, and that was apparently released in 2010.
I can only attribute this type of reaction to popular mainstream music to two things: my age and upbringing.
I grew up on a steady diet of Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Journey, Heart, Boston and other classic rock staples. Both my mother and father have great taste in music, though I will say that I don't really agree with Mom's like of Katy Perry. Even so, 99 times out of 100, I can tell if a song is by Grand Funk Railroad, the Yardbirds, Velvet Revolver, etc. And it's getting to the point that 100 times out of 100, I'd rather listen to one of the above mentioned bands than whatever is on "the mix of (insert city name)."
I suppose my aging process has something to do with my growing dislike as well. Despite the fact that quite a bit of popular music is catered to people up to 24-years-old, at 22 years of age, I'm ready to toss it all out the window. I think after two decades and two years, I must now know what I like to hear and be stuck in a rut of comfort with hits like "Barracuda," "More Than a Feeling" and "Baba O'Riley." Either that, or Dad was right - I was born 30-years-old.
Typically, I'm not one to bash others' musical tastes. I don't like mine to be questioned or made fun of, so I generally extend everyone else the same courtesy. But all of the "Little Monsters" (Gaga fans) and "Beliebers" (Justin Bieber fans), are really starting to get to me. And the lack of variety on the radio is becoming tiring, too.
Looking for possible solutions to my problem, I have come up with only two - putting in earplugs and turning on pop music radio stations so as to appear normal, or disabling the radio in my car. Both sound like too much work.
I think the only real solution is to declare myself as a horrible top-40 hate and let the fuss die down. That means most top-40 lovers will probably avoid me when playing music, which is fine with me, and everyone will know the truth about my musical tastes.
One day, when other people my age realize they don't like pop music either, I can only hope I'll still be around as a bastion of good tunes they can run to. And those who shunned me because I think Heart is an awesome girl band will come back apologizing, and I will accept them. But for now, I'm listening to the Eagles by my lonesome.

Photo via campusvoice.info.

No comments:

Post a Comment